Date: Saturday, September 9, 2017
Location: Immanuel Lutheran Church/School – 300 S. Pathway Court, Crystal Lake (behind Hobby Lobby/Jewel at Route 14 & Teckler Blvd)
8:30 am – 12:30 pm: Kindergarten thru 3rd Grade (boys and girls)
2:00 pm – 5:00 pm: 4th – 5th Grade Girls
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm: 6th – 8th Grade Girls
TIME (Cheer): 8:30 am – 7:00 pm
WHAT TO WEAR: Basketball: Athletic shoes, comfortable shorts and shirt. Please carry in athletic shoes and change before skills/drills -- keeps the gym floor clean and dry. Cheer: Comfortable “quick change” clothes – might want to try on uniform pieces to ensure proper fit.
WHAT TO BRING: Athletic shoes, water bottle. If your child is not yet registered, bring your checkbook – registration forms will be available on site.
HOW LONG WILL EVALS TAKE? Basketball: You may come to evals anytime during the grade specific time noted above. There are three (3) evaluation stations to visit – height check, uniform sizing, and skills/drills (which includes 3 on 3 scrimmage for 4th – 8th grade players). We will monitor traffic and direct you to the station that will make the best use of your time. Our goal is for participants to be done in under 30 minutes. Cheer: You will be in and out rather quickly and may come to evals anytime during the day.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT EVALS ? (visiting eval stations)
Cheer – Follow sections a, b, c, d, and f below
Basketball – ALL GRADES
a) Check-in: If registration/payment was completed online, stop at the Check-in table and receive a personalized evaluation form to carry to each station. 4th thru 8th graders will also receive an adhesive number to place on the back of a pinnie during scrimmage.
b) Registration: If your child is NOT yet registered, visit the Registration table to complete the necessary paperwork and receive an evaluation form. Bring your checkbook, as payment is required at the time of registration. (Uniform and other materials for your child will not be ordered until payment is received).
c) Height Check: Several large print measuring tapes will be posted on the wall. PARENTS will record their child’s height to the nearest inch on the evaluation form.
d) Uniform Sizing: Sample uniform pieces (shorts, jersey) will be available for your child to try on. Participants are encouraged to try-on the shorts/jersey, as a $10 shipping/handling fee will apply for uniform pieces re-ordered due to sizing issues. Players are required to wear the Upward shorts/jersey to each game. T-shirts may be worn under the jersey.
e) Skills/Drills: Players will participate in the following in the gym.
PLEASE NOTE PARENT PARTICIPATION
SHOOTING DRILLS each shot made counts as 1 point.
- Lane Shooting: Players will rotate between designated spots around the lane shooting as many shots as possible in 30 seconds. PARENTS will rebound and pass the ball back to player, while a volunteer keeps time and shot count.
- Right-Side Shot: Players will shoot from the right side of the basket for 30 seconds. PARENTS will rebound and pass the ball back to player, while a volunteer keeps time and shot count.
- Left-Side Shot: Players will shoot from the left side of the basket for 30 seconds. PARENTS will rebound and pass the ball back to player, while volunteer keeps time and shot count.
AGILITY DRILLS each cone reached or dribbled around counts as 1 point.
- Defensive Slide: Players will slide back and forth between two cones set 12 feet apart for 30 seconds. Volunteer will keep time and count.
- Right-Hand Dribble: In 30 seconds, players will dribble as many times as possible with right hand around two cones set 12 feet apart. PARENTS will assist in retrieving rouge balls; volunteer will keep time and count.
- Left-Hand Dribble: In 30 seconds, players will dribble as many times as possible with left hand around two cones set 12 feet apart. PARENTS will assist in retrieving rouge balls; volunteer will keep time and count.
SCRIMMAGE -- 4th thru 8th graders: Following the above drills, 4th thru 8th graders will participate in a 3 on 3 five-minute scrimmage. Player will place adhesive number obtained at registration on the back of supplied pinnie. Please note that a short delay could occur while waiting for other players to join a scrimmage.
f) CHECK-OUT: Following height check, uniform sizing, skills/drills/scrimmage, families turn in evaluation form and head home. That’s it – you’re done! Families will receive an Upward Handbook at check-out that contains tons of information about the upcoming Upward season.
Evaluations are MANDATORY. If there is absolutely no way, no how, not-going-to-happen for your child to participate in evaluations on Sept 9, please contact Shelly Davidson immediately at
UPWARD PRACTICE and GAMES are held at the Immanuel Lutheran Pathway Campus. Practice is one hour on either Wednesday or Friday. Games are held on Saturday.
Questions? Contact: Shelly Davidson, Director: