Hello Everyone and thank you for checking out our first month's update via the new Immanuel Website!
A few questions we'll answer in this blog:
- Why are we using this blog instead of E-mail?
- When is the Next Youth Night?
- Why did we not meet for Youth Night Consistently in January?
- What does Confirmation look like for my 9th Grade Student?
- When is the next Catechism Training Event?
- When does Summer Camp Registration Begin?
- What are the biggest needs of Student Ministries & How can I Help?
Please scroll down to the questions appropriate to you!
1) Why are we using this blog instead of E-mail?
Although we strive to do our best to communicate to everyone, we have missed people as a result of not having accurate or complete records, and from new families joining the church (REALLY EXCITING). We want everyone to know what is going and feel informed and invited to be a part of what God is doing here. This way, if you or anyone you know misses an e-mail, you can point them to (or look) here on the website to see what's going on! I'll continue to send a link to the email addresses we do have to this page to show you that it's been updated! =)
2) When is the Next Youth Night?
We will resume a regular, consistent Youth Night schedule next Sunday, February 14th with a special in-house activity. Knowing that many students will be with their families for the Super Bowl and for the sake of our Guides, we will not meet this Sunday February 7th.
Sunday, February 14th is Valentines Day, and we couldn't think of anything more romantic than Immanuel's very first NERF WARS. Think Capture the Flag, Defend the Hill, and Team Death Match (Your kid's can explain those). You are welcome to bring your own Nerf Guns. We are providing Nerf Darts (please bring your own if they require a special kind). This is in place of the off-site event that would have been February 7th. If you don't have a Nerf Gun please still come, we have a bin full of extras ready to be distributed!
3) Why did we not meet Consistently for Youth Night in January?
January is an exciting time for our Ministry with many annual events that only happen during this month. The first week of January I lead a group of High School Jr, Sr, and College Students down to Atlanta, Georgia for The Passion Conference. I am back at Immanuel for the 2nd week of January where I am able to check back in with our Team of Guides, and then immediately take off the next weekend for the High School Leadership Retreat. Following that retreat I leave straight for a week of vacation to restore, refresh, and give myself a creative break before diving into the next 4 month push of Weekly Student Ministry, and then our Summer Season of Ministry. Our Guides did a great job of running some relational events that provided our students with a fun time to hangout and get to know each other. If you see John Gray, Nicole Storz tell them thank you! Another huge thank you to Lauren and Monica!
4) What does Confirmation look like for my 9th Grade Student?
A Class is taught to Parents of Confirmation Students around the topic of Evolution
A Class is taught to Confirmation Students around the Topic of Evolution
We have a service opportunity offered to all Students and their families to serve at "Feed My Starving Children"
The first Sunday in April will double for 2 important things. 1) We will have our second Bi-Annual Catechism Training Event for 7th-9th grade students and their parents (which includes dinner). 2) Earlier that day we will be meeting with all of the 9th students and their parents to talk about Faith Statements, scheduling a Next Steps meeting time with Karl and/or Pastor Tieman, and outlining what Individual Confirmations will look like.
We envision a 9th grade student's experience to be something like this:
- Fall of 7th Grade- Spring of 9th Grade consistently attending The Path Sunday Mornings
- Having attended 3 (previously 2) Summer Camp/Mission Trip Opportunities
- Having attended 6 of the Catechism Training Events with their Parents (To learn about the Catechism)
- Attending the 9th Grade Parent/Student Meeting
- Submitting and Writing a Faith Statement
- Upon approval of Faith Statement: Scheduling and Meeting with Karl and/or Pastor Tieman for a Next Steps Meeting
- Upon Approval of Meeting: Scheduling a Date/Service Time for Individual Confirmation
Why Individual Confirmations instead of the traditional Class Confirmation?
- According to The Barna Group, Mosaics (Millennials) associate "their religious orientation" with their "cultural association". This means that the new normal for students growing up in this generation is to identify with Christianity "not because of an individual faith in Christ" but because they are in a peer group that attends church regularly to semi-regularly. The Barna group then goes on to say this: We don't need new theology or doctrine. We need a new way of changing our association of following Jesus from a social identity that shatters at the slightest puff of wind, to a disciple-making process that produces strong faith that carries into adulthood. This is the concept our Student Ministries Mission Statement is formed around " Guiding Students into a Life-long Relationship with God that touches Hearts and Transforms Lives.
How will Individual Confirmations differ from the previous Confirmation Service we've had in the past?
- An Individual Confirmation will now occur at a regular service. Confirmation really boils down to 2 things:
- A Student's Opportunity to Commit their Life to Following Jesus (personally confirming their baptism).
- A Decision to become an Adult Member of the Church.
- This is an exciting time for our entire Congregation. They get to see young people confirming their faith, and committing to actively being a part of growing and serving at Immanuel. At the appropriate point in the service, Pastor Tieman will invite the Student up to read their Faith Statement to the Congregation, share their plans for growth and service in the Church, and then the parents and sponsors will be invited up to lay hands and pray over the Confirmand. The congregation will then recognize and welcome that student as an active, adult member of Immanuel as Pastor Tieman carries them through the Congregation. The student will be presented a gift from Immanuel and everyone will return to their seats for the rest of the service. At the end of the service, the Confirmand will accompany Pastor Tieman to the lobby where the congregation can personally congratulate and celebrate with the student and their family.
- Think of Confirmation as a New Members Sunday, except they are individually welcomed into Immanuel as Adult members ready to plug into a group in which they can grow in, and another area they can serve in.
5) When is the next Catechism Training Event?
Our next Catechism Training Event is scheduled for the late afternoon/evening Sunday, April 3rd. Please Mark Your Calendars, More Info to Come!
6) When does Summer Camp Registration Begin?
I'm currently working with the Camp and Student Ministries Team to calculate a final cost. The more people show up for Trivia Night on March 4th, the lower the cost will be (as 1/2 the proceeds go to transportation and leader cost).
7) What are the biggest needs of Student Ministries & How can I Help?
We have all been incredibly blessed by the time and sacrifice of our Guides, Teachers, and Leaders over the past year and a half. I know from experiencing much of what they do firsthand. I'm extremely thankful for all that the Student Ministries Team continues to do and we would not be able to do what we do without them.
Most importantly, Please pray for us. This is what actually moves everything we do. We don't want to move apart from the Spirit, please pray for Passion, Protection, Direction, and Unity.
We have been blessed tremendously over the past year and a half. With that being said, due to work, school, and new stages of life, we've had quite the transition of Guides over the past 4-5 Months, making it hard to gain consistency and momentum in a few areas. Moving forward we recognize that character, commitment, and compatibility are really what we're looking for to create a team of people that "Guide Students into a Life-Long Relationship with God that Touches Hearts & Transforms Lives". If you have an interest in joining our team I would love to sit down with you and talk about where you might fit in our ministry. We provide training and opportunities to learn and grow alongside a team that has been doing this for a while. =)
We are currently seeking:
2 Jr High Girl's Guides
2 Jr High Guy's Guides
A 6th Grade Verge Champion